[postgis-devel] Separate regress package

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Wed Dec 14 08:46:10 PST 2005

Hi, Strk,

strk at refractions.net wrote:
> Starting from version 1.1.0 PostGIS will be released in
> two separate packages:
>
> 	postgis-VERSION.tar.gz
> 	postgis-regress-VERSION.tar.gz
>
> This is to reduce package size.
>
> Regress package is still bound to a single release to simplify
> things, but this might change in the future.

That's a good idea.

We could even separate jdbc and utilities (loader, dumper etc.) into
their own packages, as they have different use cases.

- postgis-VERSION.tar.gz - everything that is needed for the server
backend / administrator

- postgis-regress-VERSION.tar.gz - the regression suite, for developers

- postgis-utilities-VERSION.tar.gz - Loader, Dumper, client utilities
for the database users.

- postgis-driver-jdbc-VERSION.tar.gz - the client libs for jdbc users

Other language clients (like the php and python interfaces that were
posted on this list earlier) can then adopt this naming scheme and
create postgis-driver-LANGUAGE-VERSION.tar.gz packages.

Markus