[postgis-devel] Versioning and Branching Rationale

alex bodnaru alexbodn at 012.net.il
Sun Dec 18 19:24:23 PST 2005

hi strk,

i'm working on debianizing postgis-1.1.

the funny thing, is that postgis-1.0.4 just entered new packages queue.
but 1.1 will go on it's path soon.

i wish to ask you, whether postgis 1.0.x could run on an upgraded
postgis-1.1 database (for recovery purposes).
this may influence my decision to source lwpostgis_upgrade.sql upon
postgis-1.1 installation.
as i understand, finding a previous 1.* postgis will outrule the case
there is no postgis installed.

i have double-checked the configure.in script again, and i am attaching
it here (sorry not a diff). it adds --with-datadir arg, and is able to
recognize newer --with-docdir configuration arg in postgresql. the
postgresql --configure --datadir arg is also recognized.
those are extremely useful for installing postgis in our current
postgresql architecture, that allows multi postgresql versions
installations.

also, lwgeom/Makefile has inconsistent install/uninstall directories.
attached again, sorry.

i hope, that after this release (+debian), we'll find the time to better
integrate postgis 0.* stuff with current functionality.

thanks,
alex