[postgis-devel] Parallel installations

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Wed Dec 21 02:29:53 PST 2005

Hi, Alex,

alex bodnaru wrote:

> autoupgrading is dangerous but otherwise, postgis-1.0 databases will
> become unavailable immediately after upgrade.

So you are not going to allow parallel installations of 1.0 and 1.1 on
the same machine?

This will make the debian postgis packages unusable for us here, as we
often have to maintain different PostGIS installations in parallel.

I'd suggest to have different packages for all supported PostGIS and
Server versions (a two-dimensional matrix), and have only micro releases
 overwrite each other.

Markus