[postgis-devel] Routing with postgis : contribution proposal

Claude Philipona claude.philipona at camptocamp.com
Fri Feb 18 02:49:40 PST 2005

Hello,

A project is giving us the opportunity to developp a routing application
with visualization using a Mapserver-based application and wichh shold not
use proprietary software.

We are now investigating mainly two apporaches for route calculation:
- the use of an external program to calculate the route, for exemple with
  Geotools
- the use of an internal module directly incorporated in postgis, for
  exemple with dglib (http://grass.itc.it/dglib/). As postgis is already
  intensively used with mapserver, we would prefer this solution as it
  would probably faster and would note need Java environment.

As this routing feature is on the postgis todo list, is there already some
work or design done? What would you thing about using dglib? Do you have
maybe other ideas? Do you see some major problems?

This would be a contribution from camptocamp to postgis. Could the main
postgis developper give maybe some suport to our developpers that would
implement this feature in postgis?

Thanks for your answer.

Claude Philipona

--