[postgis-devel] Re: postgis jdbc2

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Wed Feb 23 03:02:19 PST 2005

Hi, Alex,

alexbodn at 012.net.il schrieb:

> i've seen your changes, but tryed on sarge with gcj as javac and
> sablevm for java and jar. gcj did compile correctly, and jar worked
> fine. but it will generate an error with fastjar or kaffe (-uf).

My sarge fastjar is able to handle -uf.

Oh, f***, I just learned that both woody and sarge fastjar both call
itsself 0.92-gcc when running fastjar -V.

Dpkg -l tells me that my sarge fastjar package is fastjar 3.4.3-6. It is
able to correctly handle -uf on two machines here (although the man page
tells that it is disabled).

From /usr/share/doc/fastjar/changelog.Debian.gz:

gcc-3.4 (3.4.1-1) unstable; urgency=medium
  [...]
  * Build fastjar, implemented -u option (closes: #116145).

So debian testing and unstable fastjar should be able to cope with -uf.

Btw, issuing "export JAR=/usr/lib/kaffe/bin/jar" kaffe 2:1.1.4.PRECVS6-1
(currently in debian testing) works both ways in my environment, with
and without DEBUGJAR set.

Maybe you build-depend on fastjar>=3.4.1-1 | kaffe>=2:1.1.4

> since jdk jar may be the only one on sun, i think their solution
> should prevail. but do not cripple functionality on (maybe outdated)
> linux.

On woody, jar'ing should work in the current CVS version with setting
JAR to fastjar and DEBUGJAR to postgis_debug.fastjar. At least it worked
here in my debootstrapped, chroot'ed woody sandbox:

jdbc2# rm *.jar
jdbc2# export JAR=fastjar
jdbc2# export DEBUGJAR=postgis_debug.fastjar
jdbc2# make jar
fastjar -cf postgis.jar -C bin . -C src
org/postgresql/driverconfig.properties -C . README COPYING_LGPL -C ..
COPYING
fastjar -cf postgis_debug.jar -C bin . -C src
org/postgresql/driverconfig.properties -C . README COPYING_LGPL -C ..
COPYING -C src .

If fastjar is the only installed jar alternative, it even works with JAR
being unset. But be careful that you do not have non-free/jdk1.1
installed (maybe you should build-conflict), as their jar has a very
high priority in update-alternatives, and does not understand -C nor -u!

being confused,
Markus

--
markus schaber | dipl. informatiker
logi-track ag | rennweg 14-16 | ch 8001 zürich