[postgis-devel] Canonical Text Rep for empty Geometry Collections

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Mon Jan 17 03:49:36 PST 2005

Hi,

What is the correct Canonical Text Representation for empty Geometry
Collections?

With old PostGIS 0.8, the following worked:

logigis=#  select 'GEOMETRYCOLLECTION(EMPTY)'::geometry;
             geometry
-----------------------------------
 SRID=-1;GEOMETRYCOLLECTION(EMPTY)
(1 Zeile)

But with new PostGIS 1.0 CVS, it does not work any more:

lwgeom=# select 'GEOMETRYCOLLECTION(EMPTY)'::geometry;
ERROR:  parse error - invalid geometry
lwgeom=# select 'SRID=-1;GEOMETRYCOLLECTION(EMPTY)'::geometry;
ERROR:  parse error - invalid geometry

This makes me believe that we currently cannot restore old dumps that
contain empty collections.

HTH,
Markus