[postgis-devel] MultiPoint weirdness

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Tue Jan 18 05:07:18 PST 2005

Hi, strk,

strk at refractions.net schrieb:

> mm... 'MULTIPOINT(0 0)'::geometry also doens't work.
> I've found out this is due to the GEOMETRYCOLLECTION(EMPTY)
> support I've added recently (so should not be in RC1).

So this answers the question how this bug could have been undiscovered -
it existed only a small time.

BTW, some other geometries seem to suffer from the same problem.

> What do you think about dropping all EMPTY geoms except
> GEOMETRYCOLLECTION ? It would simplify the code and the usage
> of it. Canonical empty output is:
>
> 	GEOMETRYCOLLECTION EMPTY
>
> Accepted inputs would be:
>
> 	GEOMETRYCOLLECTION EMPTY
> 	GEOMETRYCOLLECTION(EMPTY)

This is okay, I think. Simplifying the code is always a good idea.

So I'll drop all other EMPTY tests from my new jdbc test suite.

I'm not really shure what the WKT spec says about empty geometries, it
seems to be like swiss cheese (lots of holes).

Thanks,
Markus