[postgis-devel] MultiPoint weirdness

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Tue Jan 18 05:24:49 PST 2005

Hi, strk,

strk at refractions.net schrieb:

> Mmm.. I've checked it. Actually no holes there, previous behaviour
> was strict-standard.
>
> Valid constructs:
>
> 	POINT EMPTY
> 	LINESTRING EMPTY
> 	POLYGON EMPTY
> 	MULTIPOINT EMPTY
> 	MULTILINESTRING EMPTY
> 	MULTIPOLYGON EMPTY
> 	GEOMETRYCOLLECTION EMPTY
>
> Our old GEOMETRYCOLLECTION(EMPTY) was NON-standard... maybe we should
> *only* allow GEOMETRYCOLLECITON(EMPTY) and all the other standard ones ?
>
> REF: 99-049 -- 3.2.5.2 Language Constructs

Is it shure that the old code did not emit other empty geometries? If
yes, I think it is best to allow all standard formats, and keep
GEOMETRYCOLLECITON(EMPTY) as a backwards compatibility special case.

But this raises another question: Is it okay to collapse all emtpy
geometries into a GEOMETRYCOLLECTION, as both your and my code behave
currently?

Thanks,
Markus