[postgis-devel] JDBC updates

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Tue Jan 18 06:21:17 PST 2005

Hi, strk,

strk at refractions.net schrieb:
> Warnings got trying to compile jtest:

[...]
> postgresql jdbc driver is 8.0.309 JDBC 3

Thanks.

This is a known issue. The 8.0 drivers deprecated this methods, and
provide new methods. (See my DriverWrapper.addGISTypes method and the
comment at the beginning of DriverWrapper.java). The reason for this are
some issues with Class Loaders in Application servers.

When using the new methods, the code will not compile nor work with any
postgresql.jar before 8.0 prereleases.

There are some legacy applications outside that rely on having 7.4 or
7.3 postgrsql.jar because the 8.0 driver combined with V3.0 protocol
servers (psql 7.4 or newer) uses stricter type checks. Those checks are
JDBC compliant, the fault is on the app side.

Do we want to force the users to use pgjdbc-8.0 or not?

Thanks,
Markus