[postgis-devel] JDBC updates

Markus Schaber schabios at logi-track.com
Tue Jan 18 07:03:17 PST 2005

Hi, strk,

strk schrieb:

>> Sounds good to me, I would immediately put that in CVS, but
>> not being a Java user I'm not able to evaluate myself consequences
>> of this (does it work, is it compatible with old driver uses,
>> is it compatible with multiple postgresql.jar, is it possbile
>> to make it so, end so on ...)

Exactly, I would not vote for blind inclusion of the current code.

I tried to keep it compatible with old PostGIS 0.8 (but had not yet the
possibility to test against a 0.9 release). That is the main reason why
it uses the old EWKT format to send Geometries to the server. (Another
reason is that I did not have time to implement HexWKB producing, of
course  :-)

A possible source of problems is that my rather heavy code restructuring
(including the new abstract ComposedGeom and PointComposedGeom) may have
introduced some incompatibilities to old code.

But, on the other hand, the old does definitely not work with PostGIS
1.0 as it does not understand the hexed wkb format.

Maybe an inclusion in a different subdirectory (jdbc2 or so) is a
possibility, so we can have both codebases available in parallel for
some time, as you did with hwgeom vs. lwgeom.

BTW, if someone wants to run the tests:

- The Test class should pass all tests (and did so at my site).

- The TestParser class should pass all tests against a PostGIS 1.0
server, and most of them against PostGIS 0.8 / 0.9. (Which was not yet
the case when I submitted it yesterday). There are three possible
reasons for tests to fail: Bugs in the java code, bugs in PostGIS, and
bugs in the Tests itsself (I'm not yet shure whether all my test cases
are OpenGIS compliant.). Don't hesitate to mail me (or this list) to
discuss this issues.

- I did not yet have a look at the TestServer code. In theory, it should
work as it behaves just like any other PostGIS application.

- You can forget the BitTest class, this is just some temporary
playground for bit fiddling, it is to be dropped

Thanks,
Markus