[postgis-devel] (no subject)

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Wed Jun 29 14:11:16 PDT 2005

Hi, Strk,

strk at refractions.net schrieb:

>>>This can already be done with all postgis releases
>>>using buffer(collect(the_geom),0);
>>
>>Did you notice that this does only work for polygonal geometries, not
>>for points, lines and mixed geometries?
>
> AAARRRGGHHH!
> A missing drawback, I new it was too easy !
> I guess we'll have to switch this behaviour off
> for 1.0.2 and take more time to fix for 1.1.0

I remember having read this performance tip in the JTS manuals some time
 ago, and it seems that the buffer() call changed behaviour during JTS
evolution. I personally would prefer it to work for all geometries for
other reasons, too (eliminating a special case in a user defined
buffer() call parameter).

Markus