[postgis-devel] Re: [postgis-users] Change default "canonical form"of spatial objects

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Wed Mar 23 02:12:59 PST 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 08:46:27AM -0000, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> It may be possible to add a postgis_set() function, but I can see there
> being subtle issues with using pg_dump/pg_restore - I believe at the moment
> these accept HEXEWKB but also (E)WKT to allow dumps from previous versions
> of PostGIS to be restored, and I think if we start relaxing this check we
> are only going to make things too complicated for ourselves in the long run.

Mark, your usage of view is probably enough for the average user,
anyway (just for the sake of discussion), my postgis_set() function
would set in-transaction variable. The canonical_ascii_output
would by default be HEXWKB, so dumps (which starts in a new transaction)
will always be HEXWKB and input would not be influenced.
In-transaction settings might be also useful for other psql-based
users. Think of something like:

	postgis_set("precision", "15.15");
	postgis_set("precision", "6");
	postgis_set("bbox_cache_strategy", "auto");
	postgis_set("bbox_cache_strategy", "when_simple");

... Yes, would make things more complex, but do you see an use for it ?