[postgis-devel] probe_geometry_columns

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Wed Apr 12 01:54:39 PDT 2006

Hi, Strk,

strk at refractions.net wrote:
> The fix_geometry_columns was a quick hack.
> I'm sure this is better.
> My only concern is compatibility back to PostgreSQL 7.2.
> Is there any volunteer for back-porting ?

I think there won't be an easy way of back porting, as AFAIK the
exception mechanism does not exist back then (as it internally uses
savepoints / nested transactions which were introduced in 8.0, I think.)

My suggestion is to keep the existing geometry_column functions, and add
this method under a different name for PostgreSQL 8.X only.

Thanks,
Markus