[postgis-devel] PostGISplus for 3D graphic primitive

Torsten Lange tlange at gwdg.de
Thu Aug 10 03:26:00 PDT 2006

Dear Deni,

I found your mail in the archive. We are working at Department of
Applied Geology at Goettingen University (Germany) with a 3D-Geoobject
modeling system called Gocad and have of course all the problems of
various data formats coming from environmental authorities and
geo-consultants etc...

I thought about PostGIS as a cartridge for objects which are used by
Gocad and other geoscientific applications - first of all: simple
objects like points, polygones, but then also wells, TINs, and which
would be of course a big thing even more complex 3D-geoobjects. There
are other approaches I know of to store geoobjects for instants in terms
of XML schemes by using an extended XQuery language. But in my opinion
most public authorities still depend on the usual SQL-type RDBMS and it
seems it would be easier for them to integrate those spacially extended
RDBMS. I currently try to gather some people to initiate something in
that direction and I hope if I find those including maybe some regional
environmental and mining authorities which might be interested.

If I succeed in the way I'm thinking of, I could imagin that we might
get in contact about this issue.

Best regards, Torsten