[postgis-devel] libpq 7.2 support

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Sat Oct 14 06:49:39 PDT 2006

Hi, Strk,

strk at refractions.net wrote:
> Is there any special reason not to support 7.2 ?

- Urge the users to upgrade their installation, as PostgreSQL 7.2
  itsself is considered outdated, and will not receive any critical
  bug fixes from the PostgreSQL people.

- 7.2 creates some special cases in the code, at least in the loader,
  lwpostgis.sql.in, and the jdbc code, so removing support for 7.2 will
  simplify that code.

None of those reasons is "special" or urgent in any way, but I think we
should keep them in mind, and re-evaluate support for old Postmasters
from time to time.

Maybe we should wait for the next debian release to get stable, as they
currently still carry PostgreSQL 7.2.1-2woody8 in their "oldstable"
release, which is likely to be replaced by "sarge", should "etch" ever
get stable eventually. :-)

In my eyes, it won't hurt to have a lose agreement on those life cycle
issues, and document it, so our users have a better ground for decisions
about upgrades.

HTH,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org