[postgis-devel] Astronomical extensions

Jim Bosch jfbosch at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 25 15:06:34 PDT 2006

Chris Hodgson wrote:
> What functions do you want to make use of in postgis? While an Ellipse
> may be a geometry in essence, none of the existing postgis functions
> would work with geometrical representation of an ellipse - we couldn't
> use geos functions, as there is no geos ellipse type. I think that the
> calculations that astronomers would do with ellipses are probably
> entirely separate from the handling of locations (points and other
> geometries) - so you would be adding your own functions for ellipse
> math handling. Seems to me then, like the ellipse is a new type of its
> own.

The ellipses definitely could be turned into basic polygons for
comparisons with other objects, which would be fine; this would deal
with queries like "which galaxies overlap this ugly-polygon-shaped
exclusion region", or "which stars fall on the same rectangular CCD".
At least, I can't think of any times when such an approximation wouldn't
be appropriate, since it's almost always the boolean operations, and the
borders of galaxies are fuzzy anyhow.  It's only for the unary
operations that having a "true" ellipse would matter.  But you may be
right about it being a totally different type.  The challenge is then
making a new type with a set of operators that can use both the PostGIS
indexes and the new indexes.

> The only thing you really want from postgis, I expect, is the spatial
> indexing, and currently postgis spatial indexes don't correctly handle
> spherical coordinates - the international dateline is the edge of the
> world as far as the indexes are concerned for regular lat/long
> projections. I'm not sure if we need an entirely different form of
> index to properly handle spherical indexing or not, but it is a
> limitation that I think astronomers would find much more problematic
> than the GIS community has so far.

That is indeed a problem, and it's one I didn't mention because I think
there are other solutions for it better than PostGIS, and it's a whole
new can of worms.  From PostGIS, I'm primarily looking for database
objects that represent those on a single astronomical image, which is
indeed flat (though their relation to the spherical sky is not quite
indentical to the relationship of earth-objects to the spherical earth).
> I think the approach of making an entirely separate library which
> requires postgis to be installed is probably the best, at least for
> getting started and possibly for the long term. I'm not sure how much
> of the different functionalities would be compatible... the
> generalization of projections to include astronomical projections
> seems reasonable, but without a single library that supports both
> terrestrial and astronomical projections, the implementation of the
> transform() function becomes (I think significantly) more complex.
>
> Just my initial thoughts...
>
> Chris

Thanks!

Jim