[postgis-devel] Re: PostGIS datastore creation

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Wed Sep 20 10:55:23 PDT 2006

  Greg and Mark, while I think your ideas certainly have merit, I don't
  think they address the main problem - the FDO client needs to be able
  to create a new database using ONLY the SQL connection to the
  server.

No argument from me - I don't know enough to comment on those issues.

  As far as actually "creating" the template GIS database, that can only
  sensibly be done as part of the actual postgis install process, as you
  need to know where the postgis.sql file is located, have read access
  to it, have admin access on the database, etc.

What I was trying to express is that this creation should be doable
From an installed postgis without the source, meaning that if you do
'make install' and then tar up all the files that were installed and
untar them on another system.  This is to enable binary packages to be
installed and configured on machines that don't have the source, after
having done a build on a machine that doesn't necessarily even have
PostgreSQL running.

I think the only consequence of my thought is to move whatever
template/stored procedure creation out of 'make install' and into
a script $(prefix)/bin/postgis-setup.

--

    Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>