[postgis-devel] temporal indexing

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 01:43:34 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 09:37 +0200, Elena Camossi wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm designing a spatio-temporal schema with support for coverage and
> temporal data in postgresql by using postgis spatial extension. The
> temporal support so far is quite limited,  just timestamps which state
> the time at which data have been collected. Anyway, the temporal
> information is extensively used to access data, so the corresponding
> fields should require an index.
>
> The scientific literature states that R-Tree perform quite well with
> this kind of data, but there exist other indexes that should perform
> better.
> Does anyone in the list has some previous experience on using GiST
> postgres implementation for indexing postgresql temporal columns? Does
> anyone extend the GiST operator classes with specific support for
> temporal data?
>
> Thank you for helping.
>
> Best regards,
> -Elena

Hi Elena,

I have seen some posts about indexing temporal data in PostgreSQL using
R-Tree indices, but I can't recall any specific details at the moment. I
would suggest searching the PostgreSQL archives at
http://archives.postgresql.org/ (or posting on pgsql-general) to get
more information about how other people have implemented temporal
columns and R-Tree indices.

HTH,

Mark.

--