[postgis-devel] PATCH: Test PostgreSQL 8.3 patch for PostGIS

Michael Fuhr mike at fuhr.org
Sun Jun 3 21:50:42 PDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 09:22:20AM -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 03:38:50PM +0100, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-06-02 at 21:30 -0600, Michael Fuhr wrote:
> > > I've also attached a patch to lwpostgis.sql.in to
> > > create the bool-to-text cast only for PostgreSQL versions earlier
> > > than 8.3 because those casts were just added to 8.3, causing the
> > > CREATE CAST to fail.
> >
> > *blinks* now that IS a surprise. While PostGIS should be free to
> > determine the casting rules for its own types, it doesn't seem right to
> > be adding casts for internal PostgreSQL data types. Do the regression
> > tests pass without the cast in place?
>
> Not against 8.3devel -- CREATE CAST fails because the cast already
> exists so the regression tests abort immediately.  I haven't checked
> against 8.2 and earlier yet.

The above is misleading: against 8.3devel the regression tests fail
if a bool-to-text cast *is* created because 8.3devel now has such
a cast, which causes CREATE CAST to fail, which causes the regression
tests to abort.

I ran the regression tests without the bool-to-text cast against 8.2.4
and got no failures.  Maybe that cast can be removed altogether -- does
anybody know why it's there?

--
Michael Fuhr