[postgis-devel] [Fwd: Rethinking user-defined-typmod before it's too late]

Stephen Frost sfrost at snowman.net
Fri Jun 15 12:07:09 PDT 2007

* Stephen Frost (sfrost at snowman.net) wrote:
> * Paul Ramsey (pramsey at refractions.net) wrote:
> > Lots of handy uses for this... I wonder if we can have it be overloaded, so
> >
> > geometry just gives you an unconstrained geometry
> > geometry(srid) gives you an srid constraint
> > geometry(srid,type) gives you ...
>
> I'm not sure..  The second two should be fine but 'geometry' by itself
> might not be allowed when the system is expecting a typmod.  I'll ask
> about it in my next email though and see what response I get.

Actually, thinking about this a moment further, numeric does this and so
I'd expect that geometry could too.

We'll have to encode the actual typmod that's stored in the system
tables into 31bits at the moment it sounds like though.  Now, obviously,
we could have a side-table where we just use an integer lookup to handle
each type but I'd rather it just be encoded in the typmod.

So, given that the SRIDs only go up to around 32,000 right now, can we
limit the SRID to only 16 bits?  Then we'd have 16 bits to store the
type (which would be an enumerated set and take up only a few bits I'd
think) and the dimensions (are there ever more than just 2?).

I'm also asking Tom about maybe getting more room, but it sounds like an
implementation issue that's unlikely to change...

	Thanks,

		Stephen