[postgis-devel] Re: Search Path and Function Overloading

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 05:16:30 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 10:33 -0800, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Paolo,
>
> This is perhaps best discussed on postgis-devel. I do not know that
> there is any good/easy answer. I would like to most all our functions to
> st_* space at some point, but that is a huge backward-compatible break,
> and if we leave in backwards-compatible hooks, your problem remains.

Perhaps the best action would be to require the cast from PostgreSQL
geometries to be explicit rather than implicit? See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-createcast.html for
more information. My preferred solution would be to remove the cast,
since mixing two data types from the start can never be a good thing
IMHO...

Kind regards,

Mark.