[postgis-devel] Re: [postgis-users] installation problem

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Thu May 10 04:00:28 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 17:21 -0500, vamsee movva wrote:
> Hi martin,
> Thanks for reply.
> I am not intentionally trying to write into /etc/
> When i executed make install command, it is trying to write into that
> file.
> thanks

Hmmm not sure why this is trying to write to /etc directly - it must be
something in the template_gis code which is trying to do this. To be
fair, the authors note in the README file that it needs to be run as
root, but by writing to /etc/default then it obviously contains
Debian-specific code which is not a good thing. Also the fact that the
template code is the only reason PostGIS has to be built/installed as
root is not a good one, especially given that I have multiple PostgreSQL
installations as various non-root users in production - perhaps this
change should be reverted until someone fixes up the code in question?

The reason this hasn't been seen before is because the template_gis code
is new, and has only been built by default since the latest release. The
easiest solution would be to edit GNUMakefile and remove references to
templategis, templategis-install, templategis-uninstall and
templategis-clean and try again.

Kind regards,

Mark.