[postgis-devel] State of the postgis hibernate union?

VanIngen, Erik (ESTG) Erik.VanIngen at fao.org
Tue Oct 9 08:59:02 PDT 2007

Hi Per-Olof Norén,

We had kind of exact the same issues and we did a lot of research. We
investigated 3 paths:
(1) Geoserver/Geotools/Postgis with our own datastore without Hibernate
This one is still working quite well, but we would like to replace with (3)
(2) Geoserver/Geotools/Postgis with our own datastore with Hibernate
Did not work because Geotools assumes a database view which does not fit with
the Hibernate approach.
(3) Geoserver/HibernateSpatial/Postgis
We will starting the investigation on this soon. No results yet. Of course
the nicest and cleanest solution. My idea is that HibernateSpatial is doing a
very good job but it is very recent software and not yet used in many
systems. And I think they might be the first with a proper implementation.

http://www.foss4g2007.org/presentations/view.php?abstract_id=118
Not investigated, to me seems less clean than HibernateSpatial because they
reverse engineered from the database instead of starting from the domain
model(JTS)

Our architecture is
JPA/Hibernate/Spring/Geoserver/Maven/Tomcat/PostgreSQL/PostGIS.

Kind Regards,
Erik van Ingen