[postgis-devel] Is it possible to get rid of platform specific lwpostgis.sql files?

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Fri Sep 7 20:18:26 PDT 2007

[ hope this doesn't come across as commercial, but you did ask ... ]

Mark Cave-Ayland <mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk> writes:
> A quick google shows that RHEL 4 uses PostgreSQL 7.4. Wow - that's old.

Yeah, and I'm on the hook to support it for another few years :-(.
RHEL is all about application stability, so RHEL4 will have PG 7.4.x
till it dies.

> However, I seem to recall arguing with someone on the list a while back
> to upgrade to 8.0+, and they refused since they were convinced Red Hat
> wouldn't support them if they upgraded.... not sure if this is true or
> not though - anyone with RHEL ever tried this?

Red Hat has an "application stack" product that supports PG-pretty-recent
(8.1.9 at this moment) on RHEL4.  But the base RHEL4 product is not
going to allow any major version updates ...

			regards, tom lane