API for optimized predicates (was Re: [postgis-devel] 1.3.3)

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 07:08:47 PDT 2008

On Thursday 03 April 2008 01:50:21 Martin Davis wrote:

> If it was my call I would just provide the 2-param MEMCMP version, which
> has little or no requirement for new documentation and low potential for
> confusion.   The 3-param version could be documented somewhere as "could
> be provided if we really need it".

+1. While Ben committed the 3-param code with the best of intentions, I don't
think that this was the right thing to do in this situation. Adding an extra
parameter in this way is not something to consider lightly; and in my opinion
there wasn't enough evidence presented on -devel to justify such a change
before commit.

I'm quite pleased than Ben and Paul spent time on this and proved that we
don't necessarily need it; otherwise we could potentially have been stuck
with a kludgy API for a long time to come. We can always revisit this idea
later if experience in the wild shows that this is still an issue.

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland