[postgis-devel] Math expressions in documentation

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Fri Aug 1 08:33:28 PDT 2008

Hi folks,

I seem to be having a little trouble with the math expressions in the
documentation.  In ST_Crosses
(http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ST_Crosses.html)
and ST_Touches, I added the mathematical expressions straight out of the
OGC specifications as gif images.  I mucked around with MathML for a
while, trying to get that to work with Docbook ... gave up and resorted
to using simple HTML characters (which don't seem to render properly
some versions of IE and Firefox, as well as different build environments
- it breaks on Regina's Solaris box, but builds fine on my Fedora box)

In particular, this won't work:

<para>
   <equation>a.Crosses(b) ⇔ (dim(I(a) ∩ I(b)) <
max(dim(I(a)),dim(I(b))) ∧ (a ∪ b ≠ a) ∧ (a ∪ b ≠
b)</equation>
</para>

Any suggestions?  Does anyone have experience with MathML?  It's really
rather simple, but my Fedora box takes forever loading the MathML DTD.
Or should we simply just leave them as images?

Cheers,
Kevin