[postgis-devel] What's the difference between geom_accum and built in postgresql array_append

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Wed Aug 6 04:17:32 PDT 2008

I was trying to take a stab at understanding the postgis internal
workings and one question that has always puzzled me is

Why are we using a postgis geom_accum function instead of the built in
PostgreSQL array_append function to define our aggregates.  I did a
couple of simple tests and the timings always seem pretty much exactly
the same.

The only thought I could think of why this was done was
1) Its easier to debug the internal workings of the array
2) and its possible to internally throw PostGIS specific errors

Does that about sum it up or are there other reasons I am missing?

Thanks,
Regina