[postgis-devel] RECHECK not supported in PsotgreSQL HEAD any more?

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Thu Aug 7 13:54:54 PDT 2008

Jorgen Austvik - Sun Norway <Jorgen.Austvik at Sun.COM> writes:
> I tried running the PostGIS tests against PostgreSQL HEAD, and got this
> error message:
> psql:lwpostgis.sql:1040: ERROR:  RECHECK is no longer supported
> HINT:  Update your data type.

Per the devel docs:

   Before <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> 8.4, the <literal>OPERATOR</>
   clause could include a <literal>RECHECK</> option.  This is no longer
   supported because whether an index operator is <quote>lossy</> is now
   determined on-the-fly at runtime.  This allows efficient handling of
   cases where an operator might or might not be lossy.

> It seems that it is OK to remove the RECHECKs?:

For near-term testing purposes, you could get away with just doing that,
since the default assumption with an old GIST consistent() function will
be that recheck is needed.  But really there ought to be some smarts put
into Postgis' consistent functions to deal with this.

			regards, tom lane