[postgis-devel] Updated SVN documentation

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Aug 22 22:37:02 PDT 2008

Chris and Mark,

I want to apologize for being a bit snippy.  I ran out of my allergy pills and these substitute ones are just making me a bit more irritable than usual.

I still think we should link to the exact versions we prefer because even though I and you and the rest of us in this group can tell by going to http://download.osgeo.org/geos/ which is the best version of geos to use, I fear many users will not and they will think

hmm - I want to be stable - lets pick a version below the latest which would be geos-2.2.3.  One of my clients actually told me as a rule of thumb he always picks a version below the latest.

or they would say - hmm I have no clue - I'll just go with the svn version and then whine when they get poor performance with the leaky prepared geometry in svn branch.  I've seen people do that since I do a lot of mentoring.

So my sense is if we have instructions we shouldn't leave too much to the imagination.  We should link to osgeo downloads as an aside, and a power user would know what to do with those choices, but cater the documentation to people who are relatively new to Linux and Open source GIS. Keep in mind a lot of peoples first experience with linux will be with PostGIS.

Thanks,
Regina