[postgis-devel] Issue 83 in postgis: ST_Multi on curved polygon gives ERROR: Unknown geometry type: 0

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Mon Dec 15 02:43:13 PST 2008

Updates:

Comment #3 on issue 83 by mark.cav... at siriusit.co.uk: ST_Multi on curved
polygon gives ERROR:  Unknown geometry type: 0
http://code.google.com/p/postgis/issues/detail?id=83

I see what happened here: when I introduced the new
lwgeom_contains_subgeoms()
function, I misunderstood what the logic was doing in LWGEOM_force_multi.
The mistake
I made was assuming that all non-collection types can be converted to
MULTI; whereas
in fact the only types that can be converted to MULTI are the standard
POINT,
LINESTRING and POLYGON since these are the only MULTI types that exist!

I've committed a patch to clarify the logic and your example above now
works (i.e. it
maintains the same behaviour in 1.3.3). I guess if people think that this
behaviour
is wrong we could discuss it further, but at the moment it's not
particularly clear
exactly what it should be.

ATB,

Mark.