[postgis-devel] Removing geometry parsing checks for data loading

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Jul 7 02:35:57 PDT 2008

David Fuhry wrote:

>    I agree that the shapefiles with unclosed polygons are totally
> invalid.  But I need those records' attributes, and  their siblings
> records' valid geometries in the db.  Besides shapefile preprocessing or
> the least-hackish way I see to bulk load them.

At the end of the day, the input data is invalid and so if I were in
your position then I would either a) fix the broken application which is
producing these invalid shapefiles or b) complain to the people who are
supplying the invalid data. I don't particularly see this as a PostGIS
issue I'm afraid :(

> Similar ambiguities exist for the "num_points % num_dimensions == 0" and
> "num_poly_vertices >= 3" checks.  And shp2pgsql's logic would always
> have to be synced with the (E)WKB parser's.  (To me) seems to be a
> slippery slope to add geometry validation/modification to shp2pgsql.

Well, the recent work in SVN HEAD means that the parser is now built as
a separate library. The theory is that other utilities including
shp2pgsql will be able to make use of this to avoid code
duplication/improve consistency. So this won't be an issue moving forward ;)

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland