[postgis-devel] ST_Area, ST_Area2D

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Mon Jul 21 04:09:39 PDT 2008

Mark,

Good point.  That's exactly what I was thinking that if I'm working with
3d data, most of the time if I ask for a ST_Length(..) I expect a 3d
length and 2d I would never expect to get more than 2D, but I wasn't
sure if the specs somehow required ST_Length() should return a 2D length
etc.

Is their a penalty to doing a force_2d() though that would be more
efficiently done with an
ST_Length(geom, [dim])

If so then I would suggest we go with Paul's idea, but instead of
assuming No Dim means 2, that No Dim means the highest dimension (shall
we say -1 so we have only one backend function to contend with).

Thanks,
Regina