[postgis-devel] Re: [postgis-users] create tables smarter

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Jun 5 08:16:33 PDT 2008

Obe, Regina wrote:

> Which brings back to the point that you still need to support the
> untypemod version.  Is that allowed similar to like how we have?
>
> varchar (which is really unlimited)   vs.   varchar(255)

Yes, we'd have to support the old version for some time at least. This
comes back to Markus' suggestion that we need to have a 'don't care'
value for each field within the typmod.

> SELECT CAST(ST_Intersection(a.the_geom, b.the_geom) As
> Geometry('POLYGON',....))

Indeed. So again it comes down to whether PostgreSQL will allow you to
create a cast from a geometry to itself in order to detect a change of
typmod.

ATB,

Mark.

--