[postgis-devel] Re: [postgis-users] create tables smarter

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Thu Jun 5 08:27:21 PDT 2008

"Paul Ramsey" <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> writes:
> I'd propose the utility process by basically a side effect of ANALYZE
> and clean up everything about GEOMETRY_COLUMNS. Remove dead entries,
> find new ones, etc, rather than just restricting itself to the one
> table it was (potentially) called on.

No, you don't want to go there.  If you try to implement it like that,
then you'll get "tuple updated concurrently" failures because concurrent
ANALYZEs on different tables will try to clean up the same rows.

If you go with the typmod implementation, might it be possible to
turn GEOMETRY_COLUMNS into a read-only view on the system catalogs?
Then it wouldn't need any clean-up.  It's not clear to me whether
GEOMETRY_COLUMNS is supposed to carry any information that wouldn't
be available from the typmod tags.

			regards, tom lane