[postgis-devel] Re: [postgis-users] create tables smarter

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Thu Jun 5 12:22:40 PDT 2008

Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Yup indeed. The idea of this discussion is to see if we can actually get
> to the point where we can do this to save people having to manually
> having to touch geometry_columns if they update SRIDs etc.  This is
> because the OGC standard mandates that this is where applications should
> look to locate geometric tables and their associated metadata.

What about geometric views?  I recall that in order to get mapserver to
work with views, you had to trick it and manually put an entry into the
geometry columns table.

I suppose if we change geometry_columns into a view that looks at the
system tables, it could also include the necessary information regarding
defined geometric views.

-- Kevin