[postgis-devel] Re: [postgis-users] create tables smarter

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Fri Jun 6 09:27:44 PDT 2008

>> Then the way to go would be to fix the time data types.
>>

> I guess so. I don't know whether SQL OVERLAPS() will use the indexes,
> however the standard GiST R-Tree && operator should do without any
> problems.

Alternatively there is the cube extension, which works well for this
purpose (but can create large indexes, at least when used for many
dimensions).

Regardless, I would venture to say that is not a goal of PostGIS to
support this usage. Users doing this will be able to continue using the
same hack, by storing single-dimension objects in multi-dimensional
fields. It will waste some space, but that is their fault for not making
use of the appropriate alternatives.

Chris