[postgis-devel] Re: [postgis-users] create tables smarter

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Mon Jun 9 08:49:45 PDT 2008

Actually I think ST_Geometry_Columns has to be a view rather than a real
table.  From what I can gather
Looking at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v8/index.jsp?topic=/com.
ibm.db2.udb.doc/opt/rsbp4017.htm

and
http://jtc1sc32.org/doc/N1101-1150/32N1107-WD13249-3--spatial.pdf

Looks like the definition includes SRS_Name which we can't very well
expect people to be typing in and we would easily get by joining with
our spatial_ref_sys.

and

Looking at page 476 of this doc (443).
http://jtc1sc32.org/doc/N1101-1150/32N1107-WD13249-3--spatial.pdf

The example implementation looks like below - granted I would say there
code is needlessly ugly (or at least needlessly complicated if we were
to implement similar logic in PostgreSQL I think the joins we would need
to do would be much simpler).

CREATE VIEW ST_GEOMETRY_COLUMNS AS
WITH RECURSIVE TYPES ( TYPE_CATALOG, TYPE_SCHEMA, TYPE_NAME ) AS
 ( VALUES ( ST_TypeCatalogName, ST_TypeSchemaName, 'ST_GEOMETRY' )
UNION ALL
SELECT h.USER_DEFINED_TYPE_CATALOG, h.USER_DEFINED_TYPE_SCHEMA,
 h.USER_DEFINED_TYPE_NAME
  FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.DIRECT_SUPERTYPES AS h
JOIN
 TYPES AS t ON
( h.SUPERTYPE_CATALOG = t.TYPE_CATALOG AND
  h.SUPERTYPE_SCHEMA  = t.TYPE_SCHEMA AND
  h.SUPERTYPE_NAME    = t.TYPE_NAME )
 )
 ( SELECT c.TABLE_CATALOG, c.TABLE_SCHEMA,
c.TABLE_NAME, c.COLUMN_NAME, g.SRS_NAME,
( SELECT s.SRS_ID
    FROM ST_DEFINITION_SCHEMA.ST_SPATIAL_REFERENCE_SYSTEMS
AS s
WHERE s.SRS_NAME = g.SRS_NAME
) AS SRS_ID
  FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS AS c
LEFT OUTER JOIN
 ST_DEFINITION_SCHEMA.ST_GEOMETRY_COLUMNS AS g ON
( c.TABLE_CATALOG = g.TABLE_CATALOG AND
  c.TABLE_SCHEMA  = g.TABLE_SCHEMA AND
  c.TABLE_NAME    = g.TABLE_NAME AND
  c.COLUMN_NAME   = g.COLUMN_NAME )
 WHERE ( c.UDT_CATALOG, c.UDT_SCHEMA, c.UDT_NAME ) IN
( SELECT TYPE_CATALOG, TYPE_SCHEMA, TYPE_NAME FROM TYPES ) )