[postgis-devel] Re: [postgis-users] GIST index speed

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Jun 11 08:38:43 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk> wrote:

> So I'm not really sure what we can do about this... it's so frustrating as I
> know people will be seeing bad performance from PostGIS in a large number of
> real cases because of this, yet there doesn't seem to be a viable solution
> that I can think of at the moment. Does anyone else have any bright ideas?

As performance problems go, it's not the worst case scenario.
Re-writing the query as a join makes it very very fast. And wrapping
it in a non-destructive function makes it acceptably fast. So there
are ways to make it go fast.

My bright idea is: don't worry, be happy :)