[postgis-devel] what's the main job of lwgeom_api.c

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Jun 16 03:19:31 PDT 2008

xie jiong wrote:
> HI everyone:
>    My question is what's the main job of lwgeom_api.c? I couldn't
> understand what does the 'api' stand for? Are they
> the funtions mainly for processing the serialized_form of Geometry?
> (because many funs in it do jobs with serialized_form geometry as input
parameter.)

> Waiting for your reply, thanks.
>
> Jiong

Hi Jiong,

API is simply just "Application Programming Interface". The aim of
liblwgeom was to allow reuse of the basic geometric types from other
places. AIUI the file contains the remainder of the LWGEOM functions (i.e.
functions that don't require PostgreSQL) which don't fit into the
individual geometry categories such as lwline.c or lwcurve.c. Note that we
do also have a separate file for handling point array routines which are
located in ptarray.c.

HTH,

Mark.

--