[postgis-devel] Update Documentation

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Mon Jun 23 05:23:48 PDT 2008

Kevin

Very cool.  I especially like the addition of pictures.  One thing I am
thinking to minimize on work. Do we have any XSLT wizards that can take
the first paragraph of each function and
wrap it in an abstract clause similar to what Dane did already.  His
patch seems pretty decent although it generated some invalid inserts
presumably because of inconsistencies in the documentation.

Kevin are you thinking the abstract would be the <refpurpose> and
<refsection> would be the full description.

The other nit-pick I have is that the current documentation within each
section is not in alphabetical order.  Is there a reason for that?

The other thought is that having all this in a single .xml file is too
much and we'll want to split each out in a separate xml and stitch back
together (maybe that was Kevin's intent anyway - just thought I would
mention it in passing).  I haven't explored docBook enough to know how
much of an effort this is.

*REALITY CHECK kicking in oh oh - I hate when this happens:
I would be willing to put in some effort into this since I feel its very
important.

Jumping from where we are now to where we want to be (Kevin's vision) -
seems like a lot of work.

So I propose taking baby steps.

1) Lets first get current doc in some format that has abstracts
separated out into a separate tag so our parsing into db comments fields
is more or less perfect.  Then when we have that much done - reconvene.

2) Next step after that I think - is blow up the document - again seems
like it is currently structured enough that with an XSLT transform we
can break chapter 6 out into separate little documents - one for each
function.  I presume each file would need another tag to denote what
section of the main document it slides into.  I didn't see that in
Kevin's xml example.

Thanks,
Regina