[postgis-devel] shp2pgsql using problem

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Mon Jun 30 05:18:09 PDT 2008

Zhengyong,

shp2pgsql dumps out in binary format to compensate for floating point
issues with dumping out in WKT text.

If you just want to see what the geometries look like as text from
PostgreSQL - you can do

SELECT ST_AsText(the_geom) from pt_gsqy_point limit 1;

If you want to dump out your sql as WKT text instead of the default
binary for some reason then you can use the -w switch

shp2pgsql -w pt_gsqy_point.shp pt_gsqy_point > pt_gsqy_point.sql

Hope that helps,
Regina