[postgis-devel] Re-organising the PostGIS codebase - to liblwgeom or not liblwgeom?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed May 14 09:13:19 PDT 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:41 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland
<mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk> wrote:
> - configure options have been renamed to better reflect their values
>
>        --with-pgsql -> --with-pgconfig
>        --with-geos  -> --with-geosconfig
>        --with-proj  -> --with-projdir

Aesthetically, I think I prefer --with-pg-config, --with-proj-dir

> The other thing to point out is that my current SVN copy doesn't have any
> JTS support included. Is this still being actively maintained, or has it
> been deprecated due to reliability issues when compiling JTS with gcj?

Not maintained but not deprecated... hard call. It got some love in
recent memory when MarkL last tried to make it work (and got quite
close...)

> I haven't reworked this with the new autoconf code yet, since there seem
> to be two systems in place: jade and xsltproc. Can we pick just one and
> use that? I'm leaning towards xsltproc since that seems to work well on
> Win32, so please let me know if that won't work for you.

xsltproc. the jade stuff is historical and hasn't been used for many moons.

> BTW if I commit with a broken documentation build Makefile, will this
> break the auto-generated docs on postgis.refractions.net?

Probably you'll break the autobuild in any event, so go ahead, we'll
pick up the pieces after.

> - Remove non-ST_ prefix functions from the code base

Not yet, grasshopper. I think our next move is to raise WARNINGs on
all of them.

> - Re-work the index code based on newer versions of PostgreSQL (the newer
> code seems a lot more compact and less error-prone)

Good news. Perhaps we can do higher dimensionality at the same time :)

> - Add an --enable-debug=X parameter to autoconf

Yay!

> Comments, questions, etc.? Anyone who is not happy for me to branch 1.3
> and commit this to SVN HEAD, please speak up now...

In the words of Prince, let's go crazy.

P.