[postgis-devel] Re: [postgis-users] 1.3.4rc2 Released

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri Nov 7 06:49:53 PST 2008

Obe, Regina wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Good points.  It is always nice to have a patient person in the crowd to
> prevent impetuous
> people like me from acting too quickly.  We definitely need a new RC at
> anyrate since I think
> we have made enough changes to make me scared of just going to
> production.

Yeah exactly; I've done a reasonable amount of bugfixing in this release
and even I wouldn't be 100% confident that 1.3 could go into production
without more comprehensive testing. For example, even though I try and
make sure "make check" runs just before a commit, the crashes you have
found recently have shown that the regression tests don't currently have
enough coverage to make a release from SVN guaranteed to be crash free
without more thorough testing.

IMO we need to declare 1.3 branch as "bug fix only", add 8.4 support and
then put out another RC to the masses.

ATB,

Mark.

--