[postgis-devel] Release notes for 1.3.4

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 04:59:35 PST 2008

Hi all,

Here is a collection of notes I've put together from doing "svn log" on
the 1.3 branch. I'm thinking for trunk that we should deprecate updating
ChangeLog, since all we ever do is copy/paste from the SVN commit logs
anyway - as long as we put enough information in the documentation
release notes then we shouldn't have any issues.

Features
========

- Add new ST_AsGeoJSON() function to allow conversion of geometries to
GeoJSON format within the database. (Olivier Courtin)

- Add forthcoming PostgreSQL 8.4 support (Paul Ramsey, Mark Cave-Ayland)

- Improved CSS for PostGIS documentation (Dane Springmeyer)

- Inclusion of new "postgis_comments.sql" file to enable detailed
function comments to be installed for PostGIS functions. This attaches a
description and associated parameter information to each function so
that this information is available directly within psql/pgAdmin (Regina Obe)

Bugfixes
========

- Improve PiP code by removing substantial memory leaks and adding
multi-polygon support (Paul Ramsey)

- Improve GiST consistent performance (Paul Ramsey)

- General documentation improvements (Regina Obe, Kevin Neufield)

- GBT#20: Improved algorithm for ST_DWithin (also proposed
ST_DFullyWithin ?) (Paul Ramsey)

- GBT#21: locate_along_measure: wrong values, invalid data (Mark
Cave-Ayland)

- GBT#23: wrong proj4text in spatial_ref_sys for SRID 31300 and 31370
(Paul Ramsey)

- GBT#43: Heap over-read in compute_geometry_stats() (Landon Fuller)

- GBT#44: ST_Relate(geom,geom,pattern) is case sensitive (Paul Ramsey)

- GBT#45: bug in postgis_restore.pl - not passing options to createdb
(Paul Ramsey)

- GBT#58: bounding box of circular string is incorrect (Mark Leslie)

- GBT#65: ST_AsGML kills the backend when fed a CIRCULAR STRING (Mark
Cave-Ayland)

- GBT#66: ST_Dump kills backend when fed CIRCULAR STRING (Mark Cave-Ayland)

- GBT#68 - ST_Shift_Longitude doesn't work with MULTIPOINT (Mark
Cave-Ayland)

- GBT#69: ST_Translate crashes when fed circular string (Mark Cave-Ayland)

- GBT#70: ST_NPoints Crashes with Curves (Mark Cave-Ayland)

I've gone for a more verbose format, which I hope will help people
trying to determine the status of a given bug within the release, and
also added credits. I've tried to credit the people who understood the
problem & submitted the patch rather than the committer as I think that
is the fairest way to do it.

Comments/Omissions?

ATB,

Mark.