[postgis-devel] Issue 72 in postgis: ST_Estimated_Extent sometimes returns null if table exists but not in current schema

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Mon Nov 24 04:29:32 PST 2008

Comment #2 on issue 72 by robe.... at cityofboston.gov: ST_Estimated_Extent
sometimes returns null if table exists but not in current schema
http://code.google.com/p/postgis/issues/detail?id=72

Mark,

I'm not sure its worth fixing this well at least not for 1.3.4 at any
rate.  Just
thought I would mention it since it came up in my testing of verifying the
docs were
accurate.  The docs are pretty clear that this version only searches the
current_schema (Not search path).

What I was expecting was for it to throw an error like in the
st_estimated_extent(schema,table,geomname) case when you feed it a schema
that is not
the schema the table resides in rather than just throwing null.

Wouldn't changing the function to

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION st_estimated_extent(text, text)
   RETURNS box2d AS
   $$
SELECT st_estimated_extent(current_schema(), $1,$2);
$$
   LANGUAGE 'sql' IMMUTABLE STRICT SECURITY DEFINER;

Suffice.  Then it will correctly throw an error.  Otherwise you are left
wandering if
you just don't have any stats rather than you were searching the wrong
schema.