[postgis-devel] Compilation problems on OpenSUSE 11

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Fri Nov 28 01:52:09 PST 2008

Obe, Regina wrote:

> More info on my compilation problems.
>
> I thought maybe it was a permissions issue so I deleted all the lw and
> libl files from my /usr/lib/postgresql directory and then ran
> compile/make clean/make /make install again on postgis-1.4.0.
>
> After further inspection, it seems that lwpostgis.so is created and
> copied fine into /usr/lib/postgresql, but
> liblwgeom.so  and the symlinks are not.
>
> Looking at the liblwgeom directory of my source - I see a liblwgeom.a
> and  liblwgeom.h but no .so files where as the 1.3.4 had these.

Yeah, liblwgeom.a is stored in the liblwgeom directory, whereas the
final lwpostgis.so file is stored in the lwgeom directory. At some point
I would like to rename lwgeom/ in trunk to postgis/ to help resolve this
confusion...

> and my /usr/lib/postgresql/ directory only contains one file lwpostgis.so
> Is this just a difference between 1.4 and 1.3.4 that everything is now
> in one .so file.

Actually everything always was in one .so file for 1.3.x, it's just that
the makefiles added symlinks containing version numbers to the same
file. Incidentally, I think we can re-enable this with PGXS if people
feel it is useful.

ATB,

Mark.

--