[postgis-devel] ST_Summary has no invalid info

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Wed Sep 10 04:52:36 PDT 2008

For some reason I always expected the summary function or at least have
an accompanying function that does that would flag the details of
invalid geometries as part of its inspection and give info similar to
what ST_Valid NOTICE gives.  Why I would think such a silly thing is
beyond me, or maybe such a function exists and I haven't noticed.

Is it a very costly check?  Seems like it would be useful.  The problem
with the ST_IsValid notice is that it comes at you as one continuous
stream - so if you have a whole slew of geometries, you have no idea
which notice goes with what. I got one of those such cases from nowhere
with 100 of 6000 someodd geometries being invalid and I was hoping to
generate a report detailing to the provider why there dataset sucks and
what exactly is wrong with it.

Thanks,
Regina