[postgis-devel] Minimum number of points in a POLYGON ring?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Sep 18 07:17:56 PDT 2008

Hi there,

Having just been working on the parser again, I've just wanted to verify
we are currently doing the check for the minimum number of points in a
polygon ring correctly.

Currently the parser enforces a minimum of 3 points in a ring - but
given that the last point in a ring must be the same as the first point,
do we need to increase this to 4? So in other words, is a polygon with
no area simple?

A bit of googling shows Informix believes the minimum number of points
in a polygon should be 4 (see USE31 in
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/idshelp/v10/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.spatial.doc/spat310.htm),
but that doesn't distinguish between whether that is for the whole
polygon or just an individual ring. Can anyone clarify this with the OGC
spec?

Many thanks,

Mark.

--