[postgis-devel] Minimum number of points in a POLYGON ring?

David Fuhry dfuhry at acm.org
Mon Sep 22 12:44:11 PDT 2008

Chris Hodgson wrote:
> What if the two modes of operation were "reject invalid geometries" and
> "automatically fix invalid geometries (in ways which are clearly
> documented)"? This way we get to assume a standard level of data quality
> that is slightly above "unknown", and (if we set rejection as the
> default) we make sure that the user knows that we are fixing their data
> for them. Also, this seems like it should introduce less of a second
> path through the code, only a single "if it's broke, fix it" should be
> required.

The problem is that the definition of "fix" is application-specific.  I
may want to try to repair geometries with certain characteristics, and
just NULL out others.  There is no general formula for what constitutes
a fix in all cases.

> Or perhaps the ideal system has all three options, including these two
> and the "we'll take whatever you got" option. But then we don't get the
> nice assumption of a minimum quality level.

Currently, I think only an isvalid() check constraint gives you any
level of quality assurance at all.

Thanks,

Dave