[postgis-devel] SQL comment generation

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Wed Sep 24 10:58:09 PDT 2008

Mark,

> I'm thinking at the moment that maybe the best course of action would be
> to go through lwpostgis.sql manually adding the comments generated from
> your XSLT and then one the initial grunt work has been done then we just
> leave it to the developers' common sense to keep the entries updated. So
> in other words, if someone adds a function they simply re-run your XSLT
> and paste the output into the correct place in lwpostgis.sql.

I was thinking it would be more along the lines of the spatial_ref_sys.sql file.  People remember to run that if they care and I think most people do.

Are you suggesting the comments follow right after the function they define.
Sounds like too much grunt work. There isn't any reason why the comments should follow the functions they go with and I would actually prefer it not since the person defining the functions is not
necessarily the same person updating the docs and it would also be too hard
to hunt around as the docs change to remember in location of lwpostgis.sql where to put the function comments.

I was thinking we just slap it at the end if we put it in the lwpostgis.sql at all? So we would do it just right before release or whenever we regenerate the comments file we just manually slap it in the lwpostgis.sql at the end.

Also I was hoping to integrate Dane's other idea of having a helper table and helper function that
would use the more detailed combed out descriptions from the extended descriptions section for each function, and properties such as supports 3d, mm compliant, works with curved strings etc. -
so a user can do a simple help query that asks  "give me anything to do with blah that supports 3d."

> corner cases would be quite time consuming.
What corner case?

Thanks,
Regina